GET TO KNOW YOUR COACHES – BUNNINGS
You all come into contact with the Coaching Team regularly but how much do you really know about the men and women who work in front of and behind the scenes to deliver you the training, the gym, and the community that you familiar with? We will be taking a little peak into the Coaches lives to see where they came from, what they are doing and where they want to go.
Today we lift the covers on the life of Bunnings aka Luke Fulham. Many people ask how did he get the name Bunnings? In short, when Luke first started with us, to avoid tearing those soft precious hands of his, he would wear a pair of gardening gloves from Bunnings. One of our former members started calling him Bunnings, and it stuck.
Over the years he has lost the gloves and transformed himself not only physically but also mentally. His drive to improve himself is inspiring and he just keeps getting better, not only as an athlete but as a Coach. You guys all know how passionate and enthusiastic he is about coaching and training. It’s infectious. He has without a doubt become one of the pillars of GEO.
- When did you start CrossFitting?
I started CrossFitting around November/December of 2013 in the old CrossFit GEO location. (2 moves ago)
- What made you start?
Came back from a long Euro Trip and needed to change things up, found CrossFit GEO and it completely changed my life for the better.
- How were you training before CrossFit?
The classic summer training of bench, arms and very little legs. Played a lot of water polo as well so that involved a hell of a lot of swimming.
- What is your favourite aspect of training?
I have an obsession with doing things that are challenging.
- If you could take one piece of exercise equipment with you to a deserted island, what would it be and why?
A heavy Kettle-bell. It has a variety of uses not only for training but also mobility (mashing work). If need be a handy weapon as well? (I have never tried this before).
- What other sports have you played and at what level?
I’ve played a number of sports such a cricket, soccer, swimming, AFL, OZtag but only reached higher levels in Water polo and Rugby Union.
- What, other physical activities, if any, do you do outside of the Box?
Swimming is a favourite past time of mine, even though I don’t need to do it for my competitive goals right now I still think it is one of the most relaxing physical activities you can do. There is nothing quite like it.
- What is your favourite quote?
“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- What is your favourite movie?
Close tie between “Remember the Titans” and “Warrior”.
- What album would you take with you to a deserted island?
Action Bronson – “Mr. Wonderful”
- What is your favourite cuisine?
- What advice would you give to someone new to CrossFit?
While you immerse yourself in new challenges and exciting workouts you need to remember that you must earn the weight through proper movement. Don’t take shortcuts especially when you are beginning, learn the movement, practice and most importantly have fun and stay patient.
- What are your training goals for 2017?
- Become a better mover.
- Compete in the Australian Weightlifting Nationals.
- Complete the “Sally-up” Challenge with 100kg (Backsquat).
- 300kg+ Weightlifting Total.
- Read 40 books next year (mental training?)
- Who inspires you?
Both of my parents inspire me on a daily basis.